Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hello, World!

So, for those of you who don't know me (yet), my name is Elizabeth, and I'm a new freshman at Atlanta Christian College, home of the ripping, roaring, mighty, fighting Chargers. What a Charger is, I'm not sure. As part of orientation activities, we did a scavenger hunt around campus, and we were required to take a picture of ourselves acting like "Chargers" in front of the gym. We pretended we were horses. We also won the scavenger hunt.

A little bit about me? I'm a Biblical studies major here at ACC, and I'm thinking about maybe a double major (because I'm a nerd). When I get older, I want to be a missionary, and I'm seriously considering Bible translation (because I'm a nerd). I like to read, write, insert pedantic words into blog posts to show off my large vocabulary, knit, read, talk and hang out with my friends, read, doodle, read, correct spoken grammar (I'm an official grammar Nazi), and read.

I know I'm coming into this thing a little late (as it is a grand total of four weeks into the school year) but I'm going to do my best to make up for lost time. You'll soon learn how much I like to talk, and you're sort of a captive audience. i want a cookie. This previous sentence, in its abject capitalization inaccuracy, was typed by my friend, Cody, who is also a freshman here. I don't want a cookie. I do, however, want to tell you about my freshman experience. Oh, look. A cookie. Yum. :)

I was pretty terrified at the prospects of college. I'm shy, and I don't always interact well with other students. Public school was purgatory, and I could tell you enough horror stories to fill up a Stephen King novel. That being said, college has more than passed my expectations. I'm making friends, getting involved, learning so much about fascinating things....

Time out. I'm going to give you a list of three things, and you need to pick two that go together. Panda, Monkey, Banana. If you picked panda and monkey, then you think more like a Westerner (like the USA or most European countries). If you picked monkey and banana (like me) you think more like a person from the east (Japan or China). If you picked panda and banana..... Well. Westerners see things in categories, like animals and fruit while Easterners see things in terms of relationships, like monkeys eat bananas. THIS is what I'm learning in my sociology class.... and you could, too. So fascinating.

Time in. College is cool, and I know my experiences here are in no way unique. I'm honestly glad God chose to send me here to ACC for school. I've really enjoyed college up to this point, and with this brief recap of the last four weeks, I promise the next time I blog, I'll tell you about something awesome that's happening in real time.

Until then, I remain your faithful blogger,
Elizabeth

No comments: