Friday, December 4, 2009

It's FRIDAY!

photography credit: Morgan Harper (ME!)


So right now it's COLD outside. It's Friday. I'm sitting in Octane Coffee in Atlanta. I just thought I would let y'all know about it. If you're looking for a spot to:

  • grab freshly-brewed awesomely-priced (DELICIOUS) coffee...
  • remind yourself that you are not alone--other super-busy college students in need of a little getaway time do exist
  • work on that paper you're dreading (and no need to worry--there are 20 other college students here facing that same hurdle)...
  • relax with a group of friends...
  • listening to cool music that doesn't usually get played on the radio...
  • catch up on your reading/journaling (is that even a word?)...
  • people watch/meet new friends...
  • enjoy artwork from budding local artists...
  • get INSPIRED for the upcoming week...
or best of all...:drum roll:...
  • plug up the laptops to access FREE WIFI (yea, I bet THAT caught your attention!)...

...Octane is your place! I found out about it a couple of months back from a friend and since then I have been hooked. So if you're that guy or girl that likes to get out and explore the world (well in this case, the Atlanta area) Octane just might a spot to drop a place mark on your map.

Anyways, now I am onto that picture that is dominating the head of this post. I took that shot last week during Thanksgiving break in this striking beautiful faraway land called Nashville, Tennessee. If you haven't noticed yet, Jamie-Grace (who also posts here on the Life at ACC blog) is my younger sister and was my road trip buddy up to Nashville. It was such a blast and I'm so glad I got to pull my camera out! But for all you budding artists out there, you don't even have to step off campus to spark your creativity. Here are a few shots I've taken on campus at ACC over the years:


- The view one night outside of Head Hall...the building behind is the Gym/Alumni (Men's Dorm)-Taken in Westside Chapel one night after rehearsal for chapel the next day.
- A collection of shots from Upper Head Hall (Women's Dorm)


If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm one of those people that just absolutely loves. Art. Da Vinci, Rothko, Pollock, random street graffiti--you name it. The cool thing about being the artsy type at ACC is:

  • you're not the only one! you'd be surprised at the number of people who enjoy your same tastes in music, movies, art, etc.
  • you don't have to major in art to be artistic! ACC may not have an art major but in and out of the classroom, you'll find yourself being inspired to explore so many new things.
  • ACC supports you! if you take a step into ACC's coffee house, McKinney's, you might notice artwork posted on around--created by students!

I'm an English major, but it doesn't mean that my learning experiences in college are restricted to language, linguistics, and literature. While these things are essential to my future field, they are just the foundation of a whole world that awaits.

(And here comes Morgan's Bright Idea of the Hour)

I guess that's what college is about. Maybe some of us are interested in preaching or teaching or opening up a coffee shop but regardless of what our majors or goals are, God has something big for us and we just have to open our eyes and see it--you don't have to be scared! Have coffee with a Biblical Studies professor. Take an extra history or philosophy class! Join in on a worship band. Chat with the librarian! Go study abroad. College can be a pivotal point in your life--you just have to allow for it to be :)

To sum it all up, get out there! Take that class you're nervous about. Pull out the digital camera or the paint brush. Hang out with random people--come hang out with me at OCTANE COFFEE...





And God will do the rest! :)

No comments: