Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Field Trip!

I'd intended to make this post all thoughtful and metaphorical and poetic, but sometimes that kind of thing is beyond my capacities. Like right now.

Over the weekend, Dr. Strother took a group of twenty-ish preaching majors to the National Preaching Summit in Indianapolis, Indiana. We left Sunday morning (too early) and got back last night (too late). We heard great sermons, attended excellent workshops, and met preaching students from other schools in our fellowship. All in all, a great weekend, never mind the twenty-four hours spent in a school van.

So here's the point: if I had chosen to attend any other college besides (almost)Point University, I wouldn't have done that. I don't want to be a preacher; I'm taking preaching classes purely for self-indulgence. But even with that, I probably wouldn't have been allowed to take classes, much less major in, preaching at any other school within my religious tradition (not without a fight, at least).

For me, the best thing about (almost)Point University is that the administration, the staff, and the faculty are willing to educate me (fifty years ago, this would be somewhat shocking) (which I, personally, find shocking). I'm entering what has been a male-dominated field and it's incredible to be learning under professors who encourage me to do what I want to do and what God is leading me towards no matter whether he's leading me behind a pulpit or in front of a white board.

I guess that last bit was a bit poetic after all. :)

Elizabeth

No comments: