Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Life Begins at the End of Your Comfort Zone


     Excitement, anxiousness, and remarkable cluelessness: the three feelings I felt starting my freshman year. Now here I am two weeks later and those feelings have just begun to wear off. I’ve realized that moving involves more than just going away to college, it’s also about leaving home. Moving away from my family, friends, and comfort zone was hard. But the new sense of freedom and the idea of being able to be whatever I wanted were greater. It is said “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.”  My two weeks at Point have proved that to be true.

     Move in day: The rush of unpacking, organizing, last minute Walmart runs, and meeting roommates left me no time for emotions. Honestly most of the day was a blur. I do remember the goodbyes though; aka the hardest part. For a moment everything slowed down. Mom is crying. Dads giving last minute advice like, “Study hard. Keep your GPA up”. And as my sister so lovingly put it “Don’t die. Love ya.” All of a sudden I realized everything familiar to me will soon be gone and I will be independent. I caught myself wondering if I made the right decision. Should I have just gone to college somewhere closer to home? This bittersweet moment was a turning point for me. I could be sad and stay in my room, or I could step out of my comfort zone and make new friends and create a fresh start. Thankfully I chose the latter.

     First week of school: The main difference I’ve noticed between high school and college is that the people who are here want to be here. There is no law that requires you to attend college. As I was trying to get to class early without tripping or sitting down in the wrong room, making new friends was the last thing on my mind. I’m glad other people didn’t have that same mindset. Walking through the hallway people seemed genuinely happy. As I found a seat in my first class the people around me were eager to introduce themselves and start up conversations. I felt a wave of relief. Being a college student wasn’t as intimidating anymore.

     Second week of school: By this time I know where my classes are, my roommates have become my first friends on campus, and I’m still trying to figure out what to do with my free time. At first I was a little bummed when I was the first one in the apartment to get back from class and had nothing to do. My mind would wander to thoughts of home and I became homesick. The week went on and I began to become more comfortable in my new surroundings. Nights that would have been filled with lonely Netflix watching turned into volleyball games and impromptu dance parties. Every day was a new chance to have an adventure. I stopped questioning if I made the right decision to attend Point and decided to embrace this new chapter in my life.

     Coming home for the first time: I packed my overnight bag, loaded two weeks of dirty laundry into my car, and hit the highway. Home, here I come! I spent the weekend with friends and family. I didn’t have to worry about who I was going to eat lunch with or what time I should set my alarm. It was good to be back. But just like every weekend, it was over before I knew it. As I got ready to head back it felt very similar to the time I did this two weeks ago except for one thing; instead of feeling nervous and unsure of the journey ahead I felt at ease and ready to start another week of learning, building relationships, and spontaneous dance parties.

     Two weeks ago I would have never imagined how much I could grow as an individual so quickly. College is only as fun as you allow it to be, but Point has made it especially easy for me to adjust and enjoy myself. I am so thankful for an environment that encourages me to be the best version of myself that I can be and guides me along the way.

“And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” //Philippians 1:6   

Emily Johnson

No comments: