Monday, April 28, 2008

The taste of community...


Going to Kenya is financially a steep adventure, as I mentioned in previous posts. Currently I have over 56% of my support raised and I am still in need of $2,104. God has been showing up in the most amazing ways. Perhaps one of the coolest things about my Nairobi internship is sharing my preparations with the ACC community. I have yet to feel like I am alone in preparing to serve in Africa. Instead I feel like I have an entire campus supporting my efforts. My professors have demonstrated their interest in my summer plans. Furthermore, my fellow students have begun to partake in journeying with me in this experience. Everyday I am stopped by a variety of people who are interested in hearing about how my support is coming. One day I was given an anonymous financial gift. Another day I was stopped for some prayer. Today I was given African flashcards from a sister in Christ. Additionally, the coffee shop on campus, McKinney's, has been gracious in allowing me to sell homemade muffins, with all proceeds going to Kenya. The donations I am receiving for my muffins far exceed my asking price. I am living in such a generous community.

You will hear a lot about community at ACC. It is at the center of everything we do. This years theme on campus has been, "Living in a transforming community." We hear about that concept a lot between classes and chapels. I do not think there could have been a more appropriate focus for the campus this year. This school year has transformed me, which adds to the greater transformation of the whole ACC community.

So come here and expect some changes within yourself. You will find yourself surrounded by a community that will love you, support you, and buy your muffins so you can go halfway around the world.

P.S. This is our last week of regular classes before finals. Caffeine consumption is at an all time high. Stay tuned for the crash following.

No comments: