Sunday, January 24, 2010

Hello, Hurricane!

I just finished up a chat with my friend Georgia, and sat down with a cup of coffee in the lounge. I'm wearing my pajamas already and am looking forward to a calm and peaceful night of relaxing before the week ahead of me sets in. I try to take these blogs in a literal--less metaphysical sense, but sometimes I just feel like sharing what's on my heart.

Everyone who's been... alive.. has experienced those moments of impending doom, where you can just FEEL something looming on the horizon. You know it's coming and there's nothing you can do to stop it. You have two options. One: Fall on your knees and give into the "inevitable" collapse. Two: Stand, facing this massive storm, screaming with everything within you, "Bring it on!" Prepare for it as best you can, then wait, confident and assured, resting in God's hands.

Lately, a couple of curve balls have been thrown at me, things I have no control over, things I don't need to have control over (and if they were really curve balls, things I have no hope of actually hitting). It's easy to fall back into old patterns of thinking and old habits, and more so, it's tempting beyond belief. I'm scared of what the future holds for me, and as I was discussing this with Georgia, she said, "Yeah, of course you're scared. But do you think ultimately something good's going to come out of this?"

"Two Bible verses come to mind," I replied. "First, 'For we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.' This bit in Psalms sort of defines 'good' for me, 'As for me, nearness to God is my good. I have put my trust in the Lord.'"

At the end of this school year, I doubt I will be in love or even have a boyfriend. I don't think I'll have won the lottery (kinda hard when you don't play), or have all my dreams come true. But I do think I'll be near to God. And, as far as I'm concerned, nearness to God is my good. I trust him to know what the end game is.

So, I think as I wait for the impending storm, I'm going to sing, like Jon Foreman, "Hello, hurricane, you're not enough... you can't silence my love. I've got doors and windows boarded up. All your dead end fury's not enough. You can't silence my love."

Video of the Blog Post: Hello Hurricane by Switchfoot.


- Elizabeth

No comments: