Saturday, June 25, 2011

Mission Trip to Africa





I was not able to attend the June "Link" due to my trip to Africa. (sad day, but WORTH IT!) This was the first mission trip I had ever been on! I went in with no expectations and was so glad I did!
A group of ten of us traveled to Ghana Africa for about 2 weeks. We landed in the city of Accra and shortly after, traveled 300 miles north to a village named Borea. While in the village, our team helped assemble a church building, as well as hold a 2 day VBS for the children. We expected to have 200 kids show up to the VBS, little did we know... about 600 kids showed up the second day we had it! I have never in my life felt so much love at once! These kids would just come up to us white people and stare for hours. This reminded me of how we look to God, in total awe. (I am not saying that I am God ha)

Going into this mission, I was expecting to serve. I did not realize that I was the one who was being served the whole time! The people of Ghana were so hospitable (prior to our arrival, they had built us a shower and toilet!).
What I took home with me: Patience, understanding, time and organization isn't as important as we make it out to be, God takes care of everything and everyone. I loved seeing how God was working in other parts of the world. I never thought I would ever dance on my way to an offering plate. I never thought I could be so touched by strangers of a different world. Mission trips are such a great experience in life. I am so glad that Point University makes it a priority for all students to go on a cross cultural experience prior to graduating. It is an experience of a lifetime in which you could never regret doing. You learn so much about the world, about yourself and about God and his love for us. To see it with your own eyes is a miracle in itself.
I can't wait to hear about your experience!

No comments: