Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Meaning of Human Service


I was once told that God him self was a helper. God's work was helping people
and preaching the word of the gospel. As I began my educational career at Point
I really didn't have a clear understanding of what human service really was. My
very first class centered on discovering what my strengths were. A class based
upon discovering my God given strengths. As time progressed I learned the
importance of my calling, and the true meaning of vocation and service. The
Strengths Quest assessment allowed me to embrace my purpose and gain a better
understanding of my calling. I was faced with the question how does my vocation
give God glory? In October 2009, I enrolled in Point University (then
ACC) majoring in Counseling and Human Services. My college education has made a
major impact on my entire life. I have growth spirituality, mentally and
professionally, the application of my strengths in my everyday life has allowed
me to excel. The strengths of strategic, ideation, input, responsibility and woo
have led me to purse a career in human service. I am also a Hand on
Atlanta Americorp volunteer. Being able to serve the needs of children is very
rewarding work. The AmeriCorps are based in elementary, middle, and high school
across metro Atlanta in low income areas. Within even every elementary school
there are four AmeriCorps volunteers. Our primary areas of focus are students
with low scores in reading. We provide tutoring to those students and a Free
after school program to children who need additional tutoring. Much of my
success can be credited to all of the wisdom and insight I've received from
teachers and classmates. Prior to coming to Point University, I had the
desire to attain a Bachelors Degree but I didn't have the confidence in my
abilities. In May 2012, I will receive my Bachelors Degree in Counseling and
Human Services. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those
who love him, who have been called according to his purpose Romans 8:28.

No comments: