Thursday, November 17, 2011

Dreams

I had a very rewarding experience in my last class, Interpersonal Effectiveness. One of the assignments was to create a weekly Devotional and Prayer. It was a very introspective way to reflect what we were all feeling inside. We were asked to use our strengths in the completion of this assignment.

While doing this assignment I was going through what I will call a "dark period" in my life. It seemed as if everywhere I turned was a dead end. I just couldn't see where God was working in my life, even though I confess to be a Christian and say that I love Him. The only thing that I could see was what was going wrong, instead of what was going right. I still have a roof over my head; my utilities are still on and I even have Direct TV. So what was causing me to only see the darkness?

As I began to write my Devotional/Prayers I came across a poem by Langston Hughes simply called "Dreams". It reads: Hold fast to dreams, For if dreams die, Life is a broken-winged bird, That cannot fly. Hold fast to dreams, For when dreams go, Life is a barren field, Frozen with snow." This was how I was seeing my life but the poem helped me to realize that when I let go of my dreams I let go of God. Writing my Devotional/Prayers also helped me to learn that when I am in my darkest place is when God's light shines on me the brightest and all I have to do to see it is open my eyes.

As you go through your own dark times remember that God's light is shining on you. Simply open your eyes to see it.

No comments: