Monday, November 7, 2011

Lighting a Fire

Hello my name is Kenneth Chaney and this is my first blog. To tell you a little about myself, I am finishing up my second year at Point University. I am in the Access Program for working adults. I am 47 years old. I am married to a Proverbs 31 woman. Her name is Roselyn. She’s from Zambales in the Philippines. I have a beautiful daughter who goes by the name of Kenya Rose, which is a combination of my name and her mother’s name. She attends Cumberland Christian Academy, in Austell Georgia. A lot of my blogs will most likely contain events or conversations that occur between the three of us. I was born in a small town in North West Georgia named Trion. I retired from the U.S. Navy in 2004, after 20 years of service. I must say that the old navy slogan is true “Navy it’s not just a job it’s an Adventure!” What’s on my mind tonight? Well, I have been thinking about this blog all week. What I am going to write about? I have decided to write about lighting fires. The most interesting things I have discovered about lighting fires is that sometimes they are hard to start, but once they’re started and burning they’re also very hard to put out. I have tried starting a fire when the wind is blowing and it’s very difficult. Every time I would light the fire the wind would blow it out, before it got started. I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking what does lighting a fire have to do with Point University? I am glad you asked. The Point University experience has lit a fire in me to complete my education. Sure the winds of doubt blew in my direction. I am too old to go back to school. It’s going to take too long for me to finish. I am too old to learn something new, but the Point University experience has proven all the fore mention doubts not to be true. I am currently one class away from completing by AA, in Organizational Leadership. The Professors at Point has been great for the most point. (No pun intended) Maybe you have been thinking about going back to school, but the same winds of doubt that I experienced are now blown in your direction. I encourage you to consider Point University to help light your fire and reach your goal. Once you start burning with the accomplishments of the Point University experience, no wind of doubt will ever be able to extinguish the flames with which you will burn! Well, I guess that’s all for now. Until the next time my friend!

Education is not the filling of a pail,
but the lighting of a fire.
William Butler Yeats

No comments: