Monday, March 19, 2012

Identitiy Crisis

In Genesis 1:27 we read that God created mankind in His image. In the Book of Psalm we read the different ways that God knows us. He knows how we were formed (Ps 103:14), how He formed the hearts of everyone (Ps 33:15), and how He sees and hears everything (Ps 94:9). In Isaiah 49 we read how God called Isaiah before he was born and named him in his mother's womb. Armed with this knowledge and so many other examples in the Bible, I think it's safe to say that God had His plan mapped out for us from before we were born. He knows who we are and who we are supposed to be.
This is where is gets a little muddled up. At some point during high school, or maybe even during middle school or early adulthood we decide what our identity is. We decide how to label ourselves. If you look at my twitter bio it says I'm a wife, a mother, a teacher, a student, and a lover of Jesus. Sounds pretty good right? Well thinking about it further, I disagree. Who I identify myself with should first be a Christian. If God formed me, then He has a plan for me, and my identity should be with Him. I was given the blessing of being a wife and mother from God, a teacher and student - also gifts from Him. Why did I not say Christian first and foremost? Why do many Christians do the same thing? I think it's time we look a little more at our priorities, and college is a wonderful place to do that.
When we attend a Christian-based college, we start to see ourselves a little clearer, especially when we grab on to what God is wanting from us. We make friends, we learn about the world, and about God's word. We are able to spend more time with Him to truly understand how our identity is formed in Him. For traditional students, you may get this understanding a little sooner than those of us who waited many years to go to college. But if I take away just 1 thing from my college experience, I can say that I learned my personal identity in Christ.

No comments: