Friday, April 26, 2013

2 More Weeks!

The weather is getting warmer, and classes getting shorter, which could only mean that summer is approaching. Everyone keeps telling themselves “2 more weeks!” as an attempt at motivation to push through what seems like the slowest 2 weeks ever. However, for me, the tune is a little different. Time seems to be moving 100x faster than I could have imagined. You see, instead of counting down the days until school is over, I am counting down the days (34 to be exact) until I step on a plane headed to Nairobi, Kenya!
You may be asking what makes me crazy enough to want to spend my summer in Africa-of all places. Shouldn’t a college student be laying out on the beach somewhere? Well, as nice as that may sound, for as long as I can remember, I have always had a weird connection with the culture that covers Africa, and have always wanted to go there. So when I heard about CMF’s Reach internship from a student here, I looked into it, and applied the same day. Once I got accepted, things got real. I felt ill-equipped to do the job I had been given, but through some prayer and encouragement, began to really step into the job and prepare myself.
While in Kenya, I will be working in the Mathare Valley Slum, a 1-square mile slum with over 800,000 people living in it. We will be doing CHE (community health evangelism) as well as working alongside social workers, doctors, and missionaries to better assist them. I will be traveling with 12 other people who I have never met before, and I will be staying in Kenya for 8 weeks! Although I am nervous about the huge responsibility God has given me through this ministry, I am incredibly blessed and excited to see how He will use me to further His global kingdom!
 
“I will not leave you as orphans, I will come to you.” 
John 14:18
 
-Kelsy 

No comments: